Piano & Drum Lessons for Students/Parents
Piano study at Capital Music Center features degreed teachers and maximizes both learning and enjoyment. We offer group and private lessons Monday thru Saturdays. We teach all the basics of learning to play the piano. Students will develop fluent music reading skills, play many styles of music in solo, ensemble and FAKEbook (chord) style.
- Our lessons are more effective than traditional lessons because we utilize technologies like digital pianos, Music Tutors, iPads, and computers to help students learn at a quicker pace.
- Group lessons are especially effective because:
- Learning with friends is more fun.
- Most kids have to practice no matter the “excuse”, to keep up with the group.
- Kids gain confidence playing in front of people.
- You get extended lesson time.
- We loan all students the Roland Music Tutor to have at home for the duration of their piano study here. The Music Tutor is like having the teacher at home practicing with your child every day! Most piano method books today have interactive tutoring software available that helps students learn the songs in the book. At minimum, the Music Tutor helps students keep a steady beat, improve note reading skills, gives them a “group” to play with at home, develop their ear, and makes piano lessons “way more fun!”
- Note: Typical response from parents is “Wow! I probably would’ve stuck with piano if they’d had that when I was a kid!”
- We want your child to be successful in piano study. Students need to practice on a regular basis and have a piano at home to practice on every day. The piano (our teachers recommend a Roland digital piano) needs to have 88 keys with a fully weighted hammer action, touch response, 3 pedals, and be in top operating condition. For less than the price of a keyboard, we offer a low cost rental plan to get started.
- Note: Our experience has found that keyboards & older acoustic pianos actually hinder progress and success in piano lessons.)
Our teachers also specialize and enjoy teaching adult piano students.
We meet you at your level…whether a beginner, took a few years as a child, or wanting to brush up on your skills.
A typical lesson is one half-hour per week.
What you need to be successful in piano study
- You need a piano at home for daily practice
- You need an 88-note digital (preferred) or acoustic piano (in top operating condition) with a fully weighted hammer action, touch response, and 3 pedals.
- Capital Music Center offers special rental rates and special sale prices for our students.
- Click HERE for the list of the teacher preferred and recommended Roland Digital Pianos that qualify for tuition discount.
- If you don’t have a piano that’s actually great because we offer a low cost rent-to-purchase plan with 100% of the first 6 months applying toward the purchase of any piano we sell. This gives you six months to decide how well piano lessons go BEFORE investing in a piano (or worse yet starting with the wrong piano).
- Why a keyboard doesn’t work well for piano lessons: click here
- Music Tutor
- The Music Tutor is built in to most Roland digital pianos
- Otherwise the Roland Music Tutor is provided through monthly tuition
- What is a Roland Music Tutor: click here
- Time to practice
- Please plan to invest a reasonable amount of time each day or week to practice. More practice time = more progress which leads to more enjoyment in playing the piano.
Meet The Faculty
Drum Lessons at Capital Music Center feature degreed teachers and maximizes both learning and enjoyment. We offer group and private lessons. We teach all skill levels from beginners to advanced, and all ages from 5 to 95. You can learn the basics of playing the drum set, drum rudiments, polyrhythms, advanced rhythmic concepts, become fluent in music reading, and any music style (examples…rock, hip hop, country, jazz, Latin, Afro-Cuban, reggae, funk, drum ‘n bass, electronic, and so many more).
- Our drum lessons are more effective than traditional lessons because we utilize technologies like the Roland V-Drums, the Roland Music Tutor, the Roland Drum Tutor, iPads, smart phones, and computers to help students learn at a quicker pace.
- Group lessons are especially effective because:
- Learning with other people of similar ability is more fun, it’s like playing in a band.
- Most students have to practice no matter the “excuse”, to keep up with the group.
- Students gain confidence playing in front of people.
- You get extended lesson time each week.
- Private lessons allow you to focus on your specific wants and needs.
- We want our students to be successful in drum study.
- Students need to practice on a regular basis and have a drum set at home to practice on every day.
- We highly recommend the Roland V-Drums Digital Drum set.
- They take up less room, have many more sound choices, have a computer interface, audio input, and best of all they have a headphone jack for silent practice.
- Roland V-Drums are the number one selling digital drums because of their features, authentic sound quality, and authentic feeling pads or mesh drum heads.
- We can rent you a Roland V-Drum Set for a low rate and 100% of the first 6 months apply toward the purchase.
- Customers that rent or purchase Roland V-Drums from us receive a discount on tuition
- Our Drum Instructor: Jared Farney received his Masters degree in Music Performance – Jazz Studies, from the University of North Texas.
- He has studied the drums for over 20 years and has taught private lessons, group lessons and drum lines internationally for over 10 years.
- He was a marching member of the world renown Santa Clara Vanguard drum line for the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
- Jared is a Vic Firth educator and tailors each lesson to the specific needs of the students.
- Students that have a Roland Series V-Drum Set are encouraged to purchase the Roland V-Drums Tutor Software (for PC or Mac) for the ultimate practice experience.
- Enjoy practice in a fun format when you play along with the on board patterns and songs using the colorful graphical interface.
- Learn drumming step-by step from beginning to intermediate levels.
- Improve your sight-reading with the Notation Screen, and enjoy drumming with Game screen.